Click here to see what our whole foods chefs are cooking up this week! See if you're eligible for free delivery.

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Want to Be 10 Years Younger?


About 5 years ago, I decided to live to age120...which would make today, my 35th birthday, the equivalent of the first 30% of my life.  According to actuarial science, the life expectancy for women is 85, of which the first 30% of your life is over on your 25th birthday.  What all this crazy Asian math means is that 25 is the new 35 for those of us who decide to live to 120!  (By the way, Brian decided he only wanted to live until age 100. Though he gave me permission to remarry, I felt like after what would be 74 years of marriage, I would want to just play the field for the last 20 years of my life.)

So, how you live to be 120?  

Answer:  Visualize.

Most of us who want to get from Point A to Point B think about A - where we're at now.  Here's how the pros do it (and by pros, I mean professional athletes, CEO's, musicans, actors, and rock star moms):  they start with Point B and work their way back.  I guarantee you that three and a half years ago, Michael Phelps didn't just get in the water and start swimming laps.  I'll bet you that he thought about being in London in August 2012 - each event, how fast, and who'd be in the next lane.  And then, I bet he thought about how to taper for this Olympics in the month leading up to it, what kind of nutrition to be getting the 3 months prior, and what kind of races he wanted to have at the qualifers in Omaha.  The pros start with their goal and illuminate the path all the way back to right now.  
On my 120th birthday, I'll likely be telling inappropriate jokes (still), enjoying a glass of Pinot Noir (still), and talking to my grandchildren's grandchildren.  What will you be doing at 120?  What kind of loving relationships will you have at 100?  What kind of exercise will you be getting at 80?  What will your cholesterol level and blood pressure be at age 60?  What kind of nutrition will you have at age 40?  What will you be eating next week? 

No comments:

Post a Comment