Click here to see what our whole foods chefs are cooking up this week! See if you're eligible for free delivery.

Friday, July 6, 2012

You Can't Hail Mary Your Way Out of This One


So, how's the Gluten Challenge going for those of you participating?  I hope you're finding ease, enjoyment, and some of the health benefits outlined in last week's email, contrary to the gluten-free magazine, "Living Without."  (That magazine title always puzzles me, and I wonder what other names were in the running for this publication...like "Life Sucks" or "Made to Suffer.")  I digress.

As the season of Lent is upon us, I am reminded of my Catholic junior high days, sweating bullets when we celebrated the sacrament of Reconciliation.  I think I started developing ulcers at a young age as I carefully crafted my "sinner's speech."  It didn't help that our priest frequented our house for dinner and Notre Dame football games.  Anyway, I always wanted it to sound heartfelt and exhaustive without being too lengthy.  (I mean, if a kid stood up there too long, you might begin to wonder.) 
Nonetheless, I always accepted my penance - usually 10 Hail Marys - and then felt absolved, lighter, more free.  As awful as confession felt for me, those Hail Marys could always make me feel better.

Fast forward to present day.  As I look back over the past year, I have a laundry list of health sins to confess. Today starts Day 5 of our cleanse, and I just realized that I chose this 21 day cleanse to be my 10 Hail Marys.

Detox = Penance

I confess that my intention of the cleanse was to be absolved of all those bad food and lifestyle choices of the past year.  The intention was punishment.  As such, I have felt deprived and weak (physically and mentally).  

What if cleansing was like winning the Super Bowl and going to Disneyland?  For one, all the sad, pitiful looks you get when you tell people you're cleansing would disappear.  Second, I'd be jumping out of bed everyday asking, "Are we there yet?  Is it time for my smoothie?"

So get out your Mickey Mouse ears, check out our menu, and treat yourself to a real Spring Break - a break from the processed junk, never-ending pile of dishes, and punishing stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment